January 8 at 6 pm at 6112 Bedford, Omaha 68104.
- Intro – brief introductions
- Opportunities for Action:
- Items suggested by us: A.Internal Education / Study Group; B. Platform Building; C. Coalition Building; D. Outreach
- Outreach: A. create socialist flyers/pamphlets; B. Extending political education – reading groups; trained speakers; conferences; C. DSA Podcast; D. Tabling events / Flyering – at Farmers Market – at UNO E. Parade events
- Coalition Building: A. Meet with other organizations; B. Identify and reach out to allies C. Tri-party; D. Radical solidarity
- Issues/Actions to focus on: A. Universal Medicare; B. Inauguration protest
- Additional Items suggested by us:
- Gentrification: A. Repairing properties to keep them up to code; B. Informing landowners on property tax abuses; C. Renter’s education; D. Focus pressure on City Council/mayoral candidates
- Nebraska’s collections agencies: A. Putting pressure on State Senators; B. Reach out to Nebraska Appleseed
- De-escalating marijuana ciminalization: Push against attorney general.
- Transportation: A. Align values with Heath Mello, Heartland 2050, Green Streets; B. Advocate for light rail
- Urban Agriculture; A. Resisting Stothert’s push against Urban Ag initiatives; B. Working with Omaha Permaculture and Douglas County Farmer’s Union
- Public Education: A. “school choice” and the campaign to bring charter schools to Nebraska
- Whiteclay: Upcoming legislative session will have lobby week for taking action on Whiteclay.
- Coalition Building: Look up list of 501c4’s to identify friendly organizations
- Organizations to Work With: A. Black Lives Matter Omaha B. La Alianza C. Farmer’s Unions across the state D. Nebraskans for Civic Reform E. Black Men United F. Heartland Workers Center G. Islamic-American Relations Council H. Center for Rural Affairs I. National Association of Social Workers. J. NAACP K. NAACP L. Teamsters M. Omaha Together One Community
- Opportunities to table/have a presence: January 20 event at Milk Run/NEO on Leavenworth. — William Johnson
- Support for City Run Public Homeless Shelter